Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Big Day

Last Saturday was a big day. Olivia's party was scheduled to begin at 1pm and needless to say, I had plenty to do before our guests arrived. George went out that morning to buy ice melt for the bottom of our driveway. While he was gone and I was cleaning, I set the kids up with a craft project to keep them occupied. The first thing we did was personalize the party treat bags with glittered initials of our guests. While the glue was drying, they wanted to do a little painting. Nate got really "involved" as you can see.

As soon as daddy got back from the hardware store, it was into the tub for my little artists. It was about that time that we realized our new adopted dog, Riley, had escaped the yard. George walked around the perimeter of the property and up and down the street to no avail. We were worried sick but had guests arriving soon. To say we were a bit distracted during the party is an understatement. We were all gathered in the dining room enjoying some munchies when a crash was heard coming from the kitchen. I knew right away what it was: THE CAKE! I rushed in to find Olivia's beautiful Nemo cake upside down on the floor. "Olivia!" I called out. She was hiding in the living room. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to take a peek." Fortunately, we were able to save the cake, and our guests were very gracious about eating it.

Olivia enjoyed the frosting and the ice cream but wasn't very interested in eating the actual cake. It was a nice little party with a few friends we've made since we arrived. Our friend Tim took some great pictures of the kids. After the party was over, I drove around a bit hoping to find Riley. No luck. But later that night, Olivia found a hopeful sign on the kitchen floor...a little ladybug!

I considered this an omen that the dog would be found. Afterall, how often is it that you find a ladybug in your kitchen in the middle of winter?

We spent the next two days hanging flyers, and placing "Lost Pet" reports with the SPCA and local police departments. Monday morning, we visited one of the SPCA shelters hoping she had been turned in. Although we didn't see her there, a lady who saw the ad I placed on Craigslist emailed me at the end of the day that she had seen a puggle listed on the SPCA's website. George called, they asked him a few questions, and they told him that it must be our dog. He stopped there on his way home from work and brought Riley home.

So, this tumultuous weekend did have a happy ending. Despite smushed cake and a lost dog, everything turned out ok. Olivia still got to blow out her candles, and we're all back together again.

No comments: