Friday, March 14, 2008

A Day at the Doctor

We had my friend Beth's kids for a few hours a couple weeks ago so she and her husband could go get their taxes done. Bree and Olivia are totally BFFs (Best Friends Forever) and they play really well together despite their age 2o month age difference. Here they are playing with the doctor kit. Bree was a skillful and thorough doctor, and Olivia was a very cooperative patient.


She put the blood pressure cuff on and reassured Olivia, "Your temperature is just fine."




Checking the heart, lung and abdomen sounds. She said, "I think she had pizza for lunch."




Now Bree is using the thermometer, and is actually taking an axillary temperature. Good job!

The last step in the examination was the dreaded shot. I didn't capture this one on film, but the shot in the arm was expertly given and Bree reassured her, "Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit."

Olivia really likes going to her "real" doctor, especially because Nurse Patti gives her a bag of fruit treats at the end of each visit. And we're there a lot it seems, not because the kids are sick much, but we usually ALL go to each visit so between Olivia's visits and Nate's frequent baby checks we're there almost every month. The other day, Olivia was playing with a measuring tape and she came over to me as I was sitting on the floor and put the tape around my head (checking my head circumference presumably). I said, "Oh thank you Nurse Patti." I am really enjoying the role-play and make believe that Olivia is starting to do. It's fascinating to see what she comes up with!

No comments: