Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pretty Toes, or Salamanders and Moles?


I finally got the chance to paint my toes during one of Olivia's naps last week. She woke up, noticed my toes, and wanted pretty purple toes too.


I haven't always been a girly girl. I was actually quite the tomboy when I was younger. I had pet salamanders in our window wells, climbed trees, and played football with the neighborhood boys. I tried to nurse a sick mole back to health in a shoebox, and even wrote that my favorite thing was a "rubber snake" in a booklet I made in kindergarten. Somewhere along the line, however, I transitioned to a girl who was a bit more concerned with her hair and makeup than the welfare of random rodents in the yard. Even though these days I sometimes don't get even a shower until late in the afternoon, and it's a big deal to actually do my hair and makeup, I'm still a girly girl at heart. If Olivia decides to follow in my girly footsteps, then great. If she decides that she'd rather climb trees and wrangle snakes and salamanders, I'm down with that too. Won't it be fun to watch her take the journey of self-discovery?

No comments: